Translate

Monday, August 15, 2011

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day August 2011

 This rose was given to me by my mother Miss Rose
 Ageratum
 Ground orchid
 Bachelor buttons (gomphrema)
 Pink pride of Barbados ( caesalpinia pulcherrima) aka bird of paradise
 White mussaenda at the front entrance
 Pink mussaenda in the back garden.
 Carambola flower (star fruit)
Purple dendrobium

Hello and welcome to Garden Bloggers Bloom Day where gardeners around the world show what is blooming in their gardens. It has been hot hot hot and now it is raining torrents. The plants and trees are loving it. To see what is blooming in gardens around the globe please visit Carol at may dreams garden.
Avocados(zaboca) are in season along with golden apples (pommecythere) and limes. It is advisable not to harvest avocados after a heavy rainfall. Why? The avocado will rot when ripening because of the heavy water content.
 Last weekend I spent a lovely Sunday afternoon with Nicole from a caribbean garden. She was in Barbados on business and invited me to lunch at the Crane Hotel where she was staying. She also instructed me to pack my swimsuit( I had to check  to see if any still fitted me and that they weren't suffering from dry rot). After lunch we ventured onto the beach and into the sea. It was a bit rough and the beach was covered with sea weed. I wasn't planning on going into the water but Nicole was game for it. So I decided to just walk along the water's edge until a humongous wave doused me and I joined Nicole. We both lost our sunglasses to the sea after another huge wave covered us and had to go buy new ones. I felt invigorated after and can you believe I live on the island and haven't been to the beach for over 2 years? It took Nicole from Anguilla  to get me into the sea. Well friends you must visit my lovely island and I promise you that I will accompany you to the beach. Ok?
Have a great week gardening!

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful blooms in your garden. You went swimming? Wow, that's great! Glad you and Nicole enjoyed yourselves but sorry to hear about the lost sunglasses. If only I could visit Barbados Beach one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, you solved a mystery for me - I have a plant in my garden I had no idea what it was and I see now from your photos that it is Ageratum. I love your ground orchid! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am mesmerized by your bachelor buttons...just lovely! Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd never seen a pink pride of Barbados before only the red. The heat and rain certainly make your garden thrive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful as always! I really envy you that you can grow avocados. That purple ground orchid is outstanding! Happy GBBD from Texas!
    David/ Tropical Texana :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,

    Lovely flowers!Very pleasing and soothing to have a garden like that! I came to know few names too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So it's vast quantities of guacamole in the Bentham household then?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful post...I adore those cute little Gomphrena!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. Due to annoying spam no anonymous comments will be allowed.